The army obstructs media following clashes in north

 

Reporters Without Borders today condemned moves to prevent the media obtaining information after violent clashes in the north of the country on 23 April in which the Sri Lankan army reportedly lost 185 men.

“The clashes and the evident losses have pushed the military authorities into establishing preventive censorship, preventing photographers and reporters from reaching hospitals and morgues to establish the death toll,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said.

“The contradictory statements by those involved and constant pressure from the government which only wants to see the most patriotic articles, shows the urgent need for independent coverage of events currently shaking the region,” it added.

 

Soldiers on 24 April, prevented photographers from entering a Colombo hospital in which wounded soldiers were being treated.

In one of the most violent engagements on the Jaffna Peninsula in recent years, security forces battled Tiger Tamil fighters of the LTTE, leaving losses apparently much heavier than those reported by either side. Each side claimed to have killed around 100 troops.

While the defence ministry said on the day of the battle that 43 soldiers had been killed and that 33 others were missing, unofficial military sources said the army had lost 185 men and that 20 were missing. The army also claimed to have killed more than 3,000 LTTE fighters since the start of 2008, which corresponds to the figure for the total Tigers force provided by the military command six months earlier.

The government is trying to win the news war by doing its utmost to keep journalists away from combat zones and medical facilities as well as trying to influence the editorial stance of both local and national newspapers.

Five journalists’ organisations, including the Free Media Movement, have signed a statement condemning the pressure being brought to bear on the media by the armed forces, in particular against the Tamil daily Thinakural. The Tamil Tigers and the paramilitaries have also been urged to “respect the right to information” and to halt attacks against journalists.

 

Advertisements

Sri Lanka clamps down on war reports after battle losses

Fri Apr 25, 2:47 AM ET/Sri Lankan authorities have extended “unofficial” censorship to hospitals and funeral parlours as losses mount after a major battle against Tamil rebels, a media rights group said Friday.

The Free Media Movement (FMM) said the authorities had prevented photographers taking pictures of military casualties brought to hospitals following heavy fighting in the northern peninsula of Jaffna on Wednesday.

Funeral undertakers also blocked photographers and reporters as soldiers provided tight security.

“It is highly likely that these measures have been taken after heavy losses faced by the Sri Lankan army earlier this week after fighting intensified in the North,” the FMM said in a statement.

The group said it was urging the government as well as the rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to respect the right to information.

“The FMM believes that the right of the public to know information and news relating to the ongoing war is severely undermined by the restrictions placed on journalists.”

It said only foreign wire services and a few news websites operating from Colombo reported battle front casualties independent of government military press releases.

Both the Tamil Tigers and the military claimed killing over 100 of their opponents in Wednesday’s heavy fighting, which was the bloodiest battle since Colombo withdrew from a truce in January

Government bars photographers, censors news from war front

25 April 2008, Colombo, Sri Lanka: Government officials barred photographers from entering hospitals where soldiers injured in battle are being treated, four photo journalists told the Free Media Movement (FMM) today.  Hitherto, photographers have had no problems in entering hospitals to report on the casualties of war. It is highly likely that these measures have been taken after heavy losses (numbering in the hundreds) faced by the Sri Lankan Army earlier this week after fighting intensified in the North.

All government appointed military spokespersons give watered down figures of war casualties and mainstream media are compelled to report these official statistics.  Only some foreign wire services and few news websites operating from Colombo reported the battle front casualties independent of government press releases.  According to government military statements that have been published by media, the Army has killed more than 3,000 LTTE fighters in 2008. 3,000 was the figure given by Army Commander as the strength of the LTTE military six months ago.  In Sri Lanka today the saying that first casualty of war is truth is being proved almost every day. 

The FMM believes that the right of the public to know information and news related to the on going war is severely undermined by the restrictions placed on journalists.  Both the LTTE and the Government do not allow independent media to cover the war in a manner that accurately reports, amongst other things, the numbers dead and injured. The FMM has demanded both sides to allow media to cover the war independently for nearly 15 years. 

We urge the government and the LTTE to respect the right to information. War propaganda is not a substitute for accurate, impartial and responsible journalism that can only be ensured by supporting and strengthening media freedom and the freedom of expression in Sri Lanka. 

Yal Thinnakural intimidated

Continue reading

යාපනයේ තිනකූරල් පුවත්පතට නොනිල වාරණ නියෝග

පුවත්පත් නිවේදනය  – 2008.04.23 
 

ශ්‍රී ලංකා යුද හමුදාවෙන් සහ යුද හමුදාවේ අනුග්‍රහය ලබන අතුරු හමුදාවන් විසින් යාපනය දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ මාධ්‍යවේදීන් ගේ ජීවිතවලටත් මාධ්‍ය ආයතනවලටත් සිදුකෙරෙන තර්ජන සහ හිංසන නොකඩවා සිදුවීම පිළිබඳව අප සංවිධානවල අවධානය යොමු වී තිබේ. මෙම තර්ජන සහ හිංසන හේතුවෙන් ප්‍රවෘත්ති වාර්තාකරණයට ප්‍රබල බලපෑමක් ඇති වී තිබෙන අතර මාධ්‍ය නිදහස උල්ලංඝනය වීම හේතුවෙන් උතුරේ පුවත්පත් ප්‍රකාශනය සම්පූර්ණයෙන්ම බිඳ වැටීමට ආසන්න තත්ත්වයක් උද්ගත වී ඇති බව ශ්‍රී ලංකා පාර්ලිමේන්තුවේ දෙමළ ජාතික සන්ධානයට අයත් යාපනය දිස්ත්‍රික්ක මන්ත්‍රීවරුන්ද පසුගිය අප්‍රේල් 20 වැනිදා ප්‍රකාශ කර තිබුණි.
 
මෑතකදී ශ්‍රී ලංකා යුද හමුදාවේ කාලතුවක්කු ප්‍රහාරයකට ලක්ව කුඩාක්කඩල් ප්‍රදේශයේ ධීවරයකු මිය යාමේ සිද්ධිය වාර්තා කිරීමෙන් වලකින ලෙසට තිනක්කුරල් පුවත්පතේ සංස්කාරක වරයා හට යුද හමුදාවෙන් තර්ජනය කර තිබේ.
 
සිකුරාදා රාත්‍රියේ ආයුධ සන්නද්ධව යාපනයේ තිනක්කුරල් කාර්යාලයට කඩා වැදුනු හඳුනා නොගත් පිරිසක් වඩමරාච්චි ප්‍රදේශයේ තුම්පාලෙයි හි පැවැති සාමකාමී යාඥා රැළියක් වාර්තා කළ වාර්තාකරුවකු පිළිබඳ තොරතුරු විමසා තිබේ. එම රැළිය සංවිධානය කරනු ලැබ තිබුණේ ප්‍රදේශයේ කතෝලික දේවස්ථාන කිහිපයක සහභාගිත්වයෙනි. සාමකාමී යාඥා පෙරහැරේ ගමන්ගත් ජනතාව ඉල්ලා සිටියේ මඩු දේවස්ථානය අවට සියලුම ආකාරයේ ගැටුම් සම්පූර්ණයෙන්ම නවත්වා මඩු දේවස්ථානයෙන් ඉවත්කරනු ලැබු මඩු මාතාවගේ ප්‍රතිමාව එහි නැවත ප්‍රතිෂ්ඨාපනය කරන ලෙසය.
 
මෙම සිද්ධීන් පිළිබඳව අප විසින් කරන ලද විමසීමකදී යාපනයේ තිනක්කුරල් කාර්යාලයේ කළමනාකාරිත්වය සිද්ධීන් දෙකම සනාථ කළේය.
 
මෙම අයහපත් තත්ත්වය නොකඩවා පැවැතීම කිසිසේත්ම පිළිගත හැක්කක් නොවේ. එහෙයින් අප, රජයෙන් සහ සියලුම සන්නද්ධ හමුදාවන් ගෙන් ඉල්ලා සිටින්නේ යාපනයේ ජනජීවිතයට බාධා වන ලෙස එහි ජනතාවගේ තොරතුරු දැනගැනීමේ අයිතියට බාධා පැනවීමෙන් වළකින ලෙස සහ එහි මාධ්‍යවේදීන්ගේත්, ඔවුන්ගේ පවුල්වල සාමාජිකයන්ගේත් මාධ්‍ය කාර්යාලවලත් ආරක්‍ෂාව සුරක්‍ෂිත කරන ලෙසයි.
 
එසේම එල්.ටී.ටී.ඊ. සංවිධානයෙන්ද ඇතුලුව සෙසු ආයුධ සන්නද්ධ අතුරු හමුදාවන්ගෙනුත් ඉල්ලා සිටින්නේ මාධ්‍ය නිදහසටත් ප්‍රකාශනයේ නිදහසටත් ජනතාවගේ තොරතුරු දැනගැනීමේ අයිතියටත් ගරු කරමින් මාධ්‍යවේදීන් සහ මාධ්‍ය ආයතන වලට ප්‍රහාර එල්ල කිරීමෙන් වළකින ලෙසයි.
 

 
සනත් බාලසූරිය 077 363 0000 – සුනන්ද දේශප්‍රිය 0777 312457
ධර්මසිරි ලංකාපේලි 077 364 1111 – එන්.එම් අමින් – ආර්. භාරතී
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මාධ්‍ය මධ්‍යස්ථානය, අංක 1c 1/1, 28 වැනි පටුමඟ, මල් පාර, කොළඹ 07.
 
 
 
 
 

‛‛ලංකා ඊ නිව්ස්’’ මාධ්‍යවේදියාට පහරදීම හෙළා දකිමු

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

 
 
පුවත්පත් නිවේදනය – 2008.04.23 
 
කොළඹ මහේස්ත්‍රාත් අධිකරණය ඉදිරිපිටදී ලංකා ඊ නිව්ස් වෙබ් අඩවියේ මාධ්‍යවේදී ශාන්ත විජේසූරිය මහතාට ජනතා විමුක්ති පෙරමුණේ සාමාජික පිරිසක් විසින් පහර දෙමින් ඔහුගේ මාධ්‍ය වාර්තාකරණ කටයුතුවලට බාධා පැමිණවීමේ සිද්ධිය පිළිබඳව අප මාධ්‍ය සංවිධාන එකමුතුවේ අවධානය යොමු වී තිබේ.
 
පාර්ලිමේන්තු රථගාලේ නවතා තිබූ වාහන දෙකක් පැහැරගෙන යාමේ චෝදනාව මත අධිකරණයට ඉදිරිපත් කරනු ලැබූ ජ.වි.පෙ. පාර්ලිමේන්තු මන්ත්‍රී ජයන්ත විජේසේකර මහතාත්, එම වාහන පදවා ගෙන ගිය බව කියන රියැදුරන් දෙදෙනාත් පසුගිය 21 දා ඇප පිට නිදහස් වූ අවස්ථාව වාර්තා කරන්නට ගිය අවස්ථාවේ ලංකා ඊ නිව්ස් මාධ්‍යවේදියා මෙම පහරදීමට ලක්ව ඇති බව අපට දැනගන්නට ලැබී තිබේ.
 
මීට පෙර ජනතා විමුක්ති පෙරමුණේ ප්‍රවෘත්ති සාකච්ඡාවකදී ද ලංකා ඊ නිව්ස් මාධ්‍යවේදියා වෙත බාධාවන් එල්ල කෙරුණු අතර ජනතා විමුක්ති පෙරමුණේ නායක සෝමවංශ අමරසිංහ මහතා රූපවාහිනී සම්මුඛ සාකච්ඡාවකදී ලංකා ඊ නිව්ස් වෙබ් අඩවිය සම්බන්ධයෙන් අවමන් සහගත ප්‍රකාශයක් කළේය.
 
මේ සිදුවීම් මාලාව සම්බන්ධයෙන් අපි නැවත වරක් ජනතා විමුක්ති පෙරමුණ වෙත අපගේ අප්‍රසාදය පළකරමු. දේශපාලන පක්‍ෂ වලට ජනතාව වෙත තම අදහස් ප්‍රකාශ කරන්නට ඇති අයිතිය අපි පිළිගනිමු. ඒ සමඟම තම මාධ්‍ය පරිශීලනය කරන පාඨකයන් වෙත ස්වාධීනව තොරතුරු සම්පාදනය කරන්නට මාධ්‍යවේදීන්ට ඇති අයිතියට ගරුකරන ලෙසත් ජනතා විමුක්ති පෙරමුණෙන් ඉල්ලා සිටිමු.
 
මේ සම්බන්ධයෙන් ජවිපෙ වාචිකව ලංකා ඊ නිව්ස් වෙබ් අඩවියෙන් සමාව ඉල්ලා ඇති බව ලංකා ඊ නිව්ස් වෙබි අඩවිය අප වෙත දන්වා තිබේ.  ඒ සම්බන්ධයෙන් අපේ සතුට ඵලකරන අප සංවිධාන නැවත මෙවැනි අප්‍රසන්න සිදුවීම් සිදු නොවීමට වග බලාගන්නා ලෙසත් එවැනි ප්‍රචණ්ඩ හැසිරීම්වලට යා නොදී තම සාමාජිකයන් පාලනය කරගන්නා ලෙසත් එම පක්‍ෂයේ නායකයන්ගෙන් ඉල්ලා සිටිමු. 
 
 
 
සනත් බාලසූරිය 077 363 0000 – සුනන්ද දේශප්‍රිය 0777 312457
ධර්මසිරි ලංකාපේලි 077 364 1111 – එන්.එම් අමින් – ආර්. භාරතී
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මාධ්‍ය මධ්‍යස්ථානය, අංක 1c 1/1, 28 වැනි පටුමඟ, මල් පාර, කොළඹ 07.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
   

Free Media Movement Treasurer receives threats and asked to pay ransom

18th April 2008, Colombo, Sri Lanka: The Free Media Movement (FMM) is appalled to place on record that its Treasurer, journalist K. Rushangan, has received threats demanding the payment of a ransom before 25th April 2008.

K. Rushangan is the Editor of the Tamil language news and information website www.inllanka.com and the Tamil journal Saamadana Nokku (Peace Monitor) published by the Center for Policy Alternatives. He also edited the Tamil language daily Thinakkahir published in Batticaloa from 2000-2002.

On Sunday, 13th April at around 4pm, a person who claimed to be “Ealaventhan” from the LTTE demanded that Rushangan handed over a motorbike or the cash equivalent of 1,500 US Dollars. The first deadline given was 16th April. The phone number registered on Rushangan’s mobile phone was 0774 343791. This phone number is still accepting incoming calls.  When Rushangan refused to pay saying that he is not in a position to do so, the caller threatened to abduct the journalist.  

Though Rushangan lodged a complaint at the Dehiwala Police on 16th April, no one has been questioned or arrested by the Police to date, a situation the FMM finds wholly unacceptable in light of the seriousness and urgency of the situation.

The FMM does not have any information on the reasons for or the persons behind these threats. However, given the impunity with which extrajudicial killings and abductions take place in Sri Lanka today, the FMM hold the Police responsible for the safety and security of Rushangan and urge them to take immediate action to bring the culprits to book.